Wi-Fi facility has been provided at 11 stations on Indian Railways.
Railway proposes to provide Wi-Fi in all A1, A & B category stations on Indian Railways.
Railway proposes to provide Wi-Fi in all A1, A & B category stations on Indian Railways. There are total 709 such stations on Indian Railways (A1-75, A-332 and B-302) including 34 stations in Gujarat and 45 stations in Maharashtra.
Trials for provision of Wi-Fi at stations with no Capital investment from Railways have been conducted. These trials were conducted to find a suitable business model to sustain the system.
At present, the Wi-Fi facility has been provided at 11 stations on Indian Railways as detailed below:-
(1) CST Mumbai, Central Railway
(2) Howrah, Eastern Railway
(3) New Delhi, Northern Railway
(4) Varanasi, Northern Railway
(5) Ghazipur, North Eastern Railway
(6) Chennai, Southern Railway
(7) Secunderabad, South Central Railway
(8) Ahmedabad, Western Railway
(9) Agra Cantt., North Central Railway
(10) Bengaluru, South Western Railway
(11) Madgaon, Konkan Railway.
‘A1’ & ‘A’ category stations are likely to be completed in next two years and ‘B’ Category stations would take another one year.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Railways Shri Manoj Sinha in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.